One remnant of my marriage, I’ve discovered, is a certain fondness for having lots of green things growing on my porch. Additionally, with some of the hot sauces I’ve played with in terms of homemakery, I think, would be increased, both in terms of pride and flavor, with freshly grown peppers.
That being said, a month or two ago I decided to get serious about sprouting some seeds to end up growing in full glory out front. Given that it was the end of February, or early March, I had to start indoors. Here’s the rig I built, admittedly a wee bit over-engineered, for that purpose. Additionally, I can’t lie, I way overdid it with seedlings. So, if you’re local, and want to grow some of these for me, let me know.
The growth space is set up on a 6′ steel shelving unit that was previously holding random boxes in “long term storage”. Several boxes got removed, with ultimate plans to declutter and eliminate. I picked up remarkably inexpensive shop lights and “sunlight” fluorescent bulbs to provide light.
Germination and initial sprouting, however, mostly require heat and moisture, so I used an old heating pad (without a safety shutoff), for two flats, and picked up another complete kit that had its own heating element.
Reflectors were built in a way that I’m very proud of in a “hacker-y” sense. I used the boxes the shop lights came in, spray glue, and silvered-mylar “emergency” blankets to put them together, then hot-glued little magnets on to hold them on the rack.
I think it may prove to be a pretty bountiful year! I’m excited to get so much successfully started in such a reasonable space. Spicy tomato salsa for all!